Contact us Kilmarnock | Irvine | Troon

Children and the Law

We can provide you with assistance in all aspects of Child Support and Maintenance and guide you through options available. We can advise how the law will apply to your particular circumstances. We are able to liaise with your former partner to come to an agreement on support and maintenance payments and make provision for this in a legally binding agreement, known as a Separation Agreement. Contact us today for advice on Child Support and Maintenance.

Child Residence (formerly known as Custody)

When parents divorce and a child is involved who is under the age of 16, a decision will require to be made as to where the child lives. In legal terms this is referred to as Residence. Often this can be agreed amicably without Court intervention, often as part of a wider Separation Agreement and usually a child will live with one or both of their parents, or alternatively with a close relative, for example a grandparent.

There can be times where agreement cannot be reached on where and who the child should reside with and mediation services could be used or the matter may require to be brought before the Court. In cases like these, we can work with you towards achieving a suitable arrangement put in place which protects your interests and the welfare of your child.

Under Scots law, if you have full [parental responsibilities and rights] you can use these to determine where a child should reside. Please consult us for more details on exercising parental responsibilities in relation to residence issues.

Child Contact Law in Scotland

Child Contact is a legal term relating to contact that a person may have with a child under the age of 16 years old, who doesn't live with them. Usually contact is considered to involve seeing the child in person, whereas it can also involve contact indirectly, for example through email or other communication. Contact can also be residential.

If you are an individual with full Parental Responsibilities and Rights in respect of a child, you have a responsibility and right, where the child does not reside with you, to keep up regular, direct contact with a child.
Where a relationship has broken down, you may require to make arrangements to maintain contact with the child or you may consider that it is not in the child's best interests to have ongoing contact with a party. Making or restricting contact can be done without court intervention through negotiating an arrangement with your former spouse or partner and we can assist with negotiating and drafting such an agreement. Alternatively in some circumstances where agreement cannot be reached you may consider using a mediation service or you may have to apply to the Court for a "contact order" which will regulate the arrangements in a Court enforceable document.

Alternatively you may wish to defend an action for contact brought by another party. A contact order can be applied for by anyone with an interest in the child. It is not restricted to those with a biological connection. Again, the Court will always look at what is in the best interests of the child as its paramount consideration before making any contact order. The views of the child are often taken into account particularly if the child is 12 years old or above when their views would be given significant weight in the decision making process.

Parental Rights and Responsibilities

Parental responsibilities and rights (PRRs) are in basic terms, fundamental rights that a parent has in respect of their child. In spite of their name, not all parents have responsibilities and rights over their children. This may be due to a number of factors and the Court has the authority to take away some or all of these responsibilities and rights. Parental responsibilities and rights exist up until the child reaches the age of 16 years old, but there is a responsibility to provide guidance to a child up to the age of 18 years old. When a child is born its mother automatically has full parental responsibilities and rights. Full PRRs also automatically apply to a child's father if he is married to the child's mother at any point from the child's conception onwards (it does not matter whether the marriage occurs prior to or after the birth of the child) or if he is registered as the child's father (i.e his name is on the child's Birth Certificate) after the 4th May 2006. If that is the case he will have full PRRs even if he is not married to the child's mother. An individual known as a guardian may also have full PRRs if they have been appointed as a guardian in the Will of the parent who has now deceased.

Parental responsibilities and rights tend to concern everyday things in a child's life and include rights and responsibilities as follows:-

  • To determine where the child lives and those with whom the child will have contact with.
  • Preserving and enhancing the child's health and development which involves having regard to the child's health and education requirements, and generally ensuring that the child's welfare is protected.
  • To make decisions as to a child's lifestyle and how they are to be brought up. This may relate to any particular religion the child will follow. Additionally there is a right to control, direct or guide the child's upbringing, which influence may decrease as the child gets older.
  • Being the child's legal representative

Under Scots law, anyone who can 'claim an interest' is able to apply for PRRs in respect of a child which tends to mean anyone who may have an interest in the child's welfare. Relatives who may apply for PRRs may include grandparents, aunts, uncles and step-parents, but that list is not exhaustive. The child also has the power to make a Court application in respect of an order for PRRs.

It is often the case that a person will apply for PRRs when a child's parents cannot fully exercise their PRRs or have had them taken away. The Court will always look at the welfare of the child which is a paramount consideration, before granting any PRRs in relation to a child.

If you wish advice regarding PRRs in respect of a child please contact us and we will be happy to discuss this with you.

Contact Our Award Winning Solicitors 

With offices in Kilmarnock, Irvine and Troon, we can help business clients all over Ayrshire and across Scotland and currently serve clients in Ayr, Troon, Arran, Kilwinning, Saltcoats, Dalry, Ardrossan, Prestwick, Stewarton and Fenwick.

Email us: 

Contact us: Kilmarnock | Irvine | Troon

Call us: Kilmarnock: 01563 533121 | Irvine: 01294 274097 | Troon: 01292 313737


Caroline Nisbet

view profile

Stacey McIntyre

view profile

Louisa Doole
Trainee Solicitor

view profile

catherine m

Catherine Morrow
Assistant Solicitor

view profile

Make an Enquiry

Contact Us
  1. Your Name(*)
    Please let us know your name.
  2. Your Email(*)
    Please let us know your email address.
  3. Phone Number(*)
    Invalid telephone number.
  4. Message(*)
    Please let us know your message.
  5. Which office would you prefer?
    Invalid Input
  6. AntiSpam Verification, Please tick.
    Invalid Input
  7. Invalid Input

Legal Services

  • Agricultural & Rural >

    We have considerable experience in dealing with all rural matters. If you are looking to buy, sell, lease or develop agricultural property, we can help. Read More
  • Commercial >

    We are not just lawyers with a focus on law but on business too. Our trusted commercial team combines experience, expertise and awareness of your aims to offer bespoke practical solutions for you. Read More
  • Commercial Contracts >

    Once the initial steps have been taken in respect of buying, investing or selling a business, we can draft up a binding legal agreement, which will include the all relevant commercial terms. You may have already agreed some skeletal commercial terms with the other party; however we can also negotiate these terms on your behalf and ensure the terms are suitably favourable to you. We will make it our business to understand your business fully, considering the products and services you supply, your client base and relationships with customers, suppliers and partners. Commercial Contracts Lawyers Ayrshire Having a robust commercial Read More
  • Commercial Property >

    Whether you have a large portfolio of commercial properties or are simply conducting business from leasehold premises, it is essential that you employ the right firm to provide advice on your commercial property. At McSherry Halliday our commercial team has a wealth of experience in dealing with buying and selling commercial or private property, as well as extending a residential lease, all aspects of commercial leasing and assigning a lease. We can offer quality advice on acquisitions and disposals, asset management, Deeds of Variation, freehold and leasehold conveyances amongst other things. We can act for you whether you are an Read More
  • Conveyancing: Buying & Selling Ayrshire & Arran >

    When you place yourself in the hands of McSherry Halliday we ease the stress of sourcing and securing your ideal home. Read More
  • Executry >

    If you have lost someone close to you and are looking for sensitive, practical and comprehensive legal advice about where to go from here - we can help. Read More
  • Family Law & Divorce >

    We understand how distressing the breakdown of an adult relationship can be. With such a sensitive matter, it is essential to place yourself in the hands of a skilled and experienced Solicitor. Read More
  • Financial Services >

    We recognise the importance of giving appropriate consideration to your current and future financial position. This has never been more important than in the current economic environment. Read More
  • Living Wills >

    These are documents which set out your wishes for how you would like to be treated in the later stages of your life. The document allows you to make statements as to what medical treatment you should and should not be given. Often in these later stages you may not have capacity to inform doctors or family members of what medical treatment you want to receive to provide for the circumstances in which medical treatment is to be given or not or for when you are to be resuscitated or not. Documents like these are very important as difficult decisions Read More
  • Property >

    Your home is likely to be your most important and valuable possession. From the moment you find the property right for you, McSherry Halliday can help. Read More
  • 1
  • 2


TEL: 01563 533121
FAX: 01563 522762
Bank Chambers
42 Bank Street


TEL: 01563 533121
FAX: 01563 570840
7 Bank Street



TEL: 01294 274097
FAX: 01294 279692
Galt House
78 East Road
KA12 0AA


TEL: 01292 313737
FAX: 01292 317856
8 Academy Street
KA10 6HS