Contact us Kilmarnock | Irvine | Troon

Intervention Orders and Guardianship Orders

Where an adult no longer has the capability to authorise another to act under a Power of Attorney, a person with an interest in the welfare or financial affairs of the adult can nominate themselves and make an application to the Court to be given the power to act on their behalf. This may be a family member but can also be a friend or professional. Either an Intervention Order or Guardianship Order may be sought. Authority can be given to deal with all or some aspects of the adult's property, money, personal welfare and health. Legal Aid can be available to fund the costs associated with obtaining an Intervention or Guardianship Order. We can assist you with this, assessing whether you qualify for Legal Aid and guiding you through the process. Prior to applying for a Court Order you should also consult as far as possible, with the incapacitated adult to identify their wishes. Additionally you may consult with a person such as the individual's doctor or carer. The application to the court must include two medical reports. When an application is made for the personal welfare of the adult, a report from the Chief Social Worker is required with a declaration that the applicant is suitable. Alternatively if the order is in relation to a property or financial matters a report is required to be obtained from an individual with sufficient knowledge. Any application must be submitted to the Court within thirty days of the first examination by these report witnesses.

Intervention Order Solicitors Kilmarnock, Irvine, Troon

An Intervention Order is an appropriate action where there is a need for a 'one-off' decision or action to be taken in a short period of time where the outcome can be predicted. This may involve applying for authority to release an adult's assets or to settle any outstanding bills, and then transfer the proceeds into the adult's Bank account. Only one person can be appointed as an intervener. You will require to apply to the local Sheriff Court for an Intervention Order. Within the application you must justify to the Court why the intervention is necessary and how it will benefit the adult concerned. The Sheriff must be satisfied that there is no other suitable means of dealing with the issue. In general there is no fixed time period stipulating the duration of your appointment, instead the order will last until you have completed the action, authorised by the court order. The application will set out a list of powers which will enable you to look after the adult's affairs. As an intervener you will require to regularly report to the Office of the Public Guardian and records must be kept as the Office of the Public Guardian may request information from the intervener. When the action under the Intervention Order has been completed, you require to submit evidence of this to the Office of the Public Guardian.

Guardianship Orders Legal Advice

A Guardianship Order grants wider powers and gives someone authority to look after an incapacitated adult's finances and/or welfare on a continuous basis. The Order can grant solely financial powers or welfare powers, or alternatively the order may include a combination of both depending on the needs of the adult. It is possible for more than one person to be nominated as a Guardian and often this is the preferred route as it enables the responsibilities to be shared. One family member may deal with the financial matters and another may deal with decisions in relation to the adult's welfare. It is prudent to appoint a substitute Guardian in the event that the principal Guardian can no longer act. A Guardianship Order will be issued where the Sheriff is satisfied that the adult is incapable and there is no other way of safeguarding the interests of the adult under the particular circumstances. It is possible at a later date to appoint further persons as joint or substitute Guardians.

The application will be put before a Sheriff in Court who will decide if the adult requires a Guardian and will assess if the adult applying to be Guardian is suitable.

The procedure for obtaining a court order is complex and time consuming and it is essential you seek legal advice.

As soon as the order is granted, it will be registered with the Office of the Public Guardian and the powers granted can then be exercised. Part of the role of the Office of the Public Guardian is to provide supervision over those persons who have been appointed under Intervention or Guardianship Orders to look after an adult's affairs. Due to the continuous nature of the Guardianship Order, there is more in-depth supervision of financial duties. The Guardian must forward an inventory outlining the assets held by the adult to the Office of the Public Guardian. Thereafter a management plan should be drawn up to detail how he will administer the individual's estate. It is also essential that annual accounts are prepared and submitted. The Office of the Public Guardian oversees the financial and property responsibilities of the Guardian and the Local Authority supervises any personal welfare responsibilities. If you are interested in applying for a Court Order in respect of an adult please contact us and we will guide you through the process.

Contact Our Award Winning Family Solicitors Ayrshire

With offices in Kilmarnock, Irvine and Troon, we can help business clients all over Ayrshire and across Scotland and currently serve clients in Ayr, Troon, Arran, Kilwinning, Saltcoats, Dalry, Ardrossan, Prestwick, Stewarton and Fenwick. Contact us today to arrange an appointment.

Email us: 

Contact us: Kilmarnock | Irvine | Troon

Call us: Kilmarnock: 01563 533121 | Irvine: 01294 274097 | Troon: 01292 313737


james b morrison

James B. Morrison
Managing Partner

view profile

Caroline Nisbet

view profile

Martha Clark

view profile

Stacey McIntyre

view profile

Louisa Doole
Trainee Solicitor

view profile

catherine m

Catherine Morrow
Assistant Solicitor

view profile

Make an Enquiry

Contact Us
  1. Your Name(*)
    Please let us know your name.
  2. Your Email(*)
    Please let us know your email address.
  3. Phone Number(*)
    Invalid telephone number.
  4. Message(*)
    Please let us know your message.
  5. Which office would you prefer?
    Invalid Input
  6. AntiSpam Verification, Please tick.
    Invalid Input
  7. Invalid Input

Legal Services

  • Agricultural & Rural >

    We have considerable experience in dealing with all rural matters. If you are looking to buy, sell, lease or develop agricultural property, we can help. Read More
  • Commercial >

    We are not just lawyers with a focus on law but on business too. Our trusted commercial team combines experience, expertise and awareness of your aims to offer bespoke practical solutions for you. Read More
  • Commercial Contracts >

    Once the initial steps have been taken in respect of buying, investing or selling a business, we can draft up a binding legal agreement, which will include the all relevant commercial terms. You may have already agreed some skeletal commercial terms with the other party; however we can also negotiate these terms on your behalf and ensure the terms are suitably favourable to you. We will make it our business to understand your business fully, considering the products and services you supply, your client base and relationships with customers, suppliers and partners. Commercial Contracts Lawyers Ayrshire Having a robust commercial Read More
  • Commercial Property >

    Whether you have a large portfolio of commercial properties or are simply conducting business from leasehold premises, it is essential that you employ the right firm to provide advice on your commercial property. At McSherry Halliday our commercial team has a wealth of experience in dealing with buying and selling commercial or private property, as well as extending a residential lease, all aspects of commercial leasing and assigning a lease. We can offer quality advice on acquisitions and disposals, asset management, Deeds of Variation, freehold and leasehold conveyances amongst other things. We can act for you whether you are an Read More
  • Conveyancing: Buying & Selling Ayrshire & Arran >

    When you place yourself in the hands of McSherry Halliday we ease the stress of sourcing and securing your ideal home. Read More
  • Executry >

    If you have lost someone close to you and are looking for sensitive, practical and comprehensive legal advice about where to go from here - we can help. Read More
  • Family Law & Divorce >

    We understand how distressing the breakdown of an adult relationship can be. With such a sensitive matter, it is essential to place yourself in the hands of a skilled and experienced Solicitor. Read More
  • Financial Services >

    We recognise the importance of giving appropriate consideration to your current and future financial position. This has never been more important than in the current economic environment. Read More
  • Living Wills >

    These are documents which set out your wishes for how you would like to be treated in the later stages of your life. The document allows you to make statements as to what medical treatment you should and should not be given. Often in these later stages you may not have capacity to inform doctors or family members of what medical treatment you want to receive to provide for the circumstances in which medical treatment is to be given or not or for when you are to be resuscitated or not. Documents like these are very important as difficult decisions Read More
  • Property >

    Your home is likely to be your most important and valuable possession. From the moment you find the property right for you, McSherry Halliday can help. Read More
  • 1
  • 2


TEL: 01563 533121
FAX: 01563 522762
Bank Chambers
42 Bank Street


TEL: 01563 533121
FAX: 01563 570840
7 Bank Street



TEL: 01294 274097
FAX: 01294 279692
Galt House
78 East Road
KA12 0AA


TEL: 01292 313737
FAX: 01292 317856
8 Academy Street
KA10 6HS